Elder Wilson

Elder Wilson

Monday, October 6, 2014

Week 2 Ecuador

I'll begin with an apology for the lack of photos. I have yet to obtain a chord for my camera and despite my efforts to plan for photos to be provided via another missionaries camera, they were randomly transferred early this morning. Crazy. 

Dear Family and Friends, 

What a week! I believe i'm starting to grasp what being a missionary is. As well as the language and other tasks that accompany my calling. Talking with many natives my doubts of ever seeing a huge jungle, lake, or mountain in my area of Ecuador are almost certain. In fact, I live in the poorest and ugliest part of this country! Dissapointing, but I didn't really come here for the scenery anyways so it doesn't matter! 

This past week I had the opportunity to swap companions and work with the Zone leader for a day! He is another Gringo so it was chill getting to speak a little english, But I also got to learn a lot from him. Some of the greatest things I can do out here are just talking with people,sharing small messages with them, and giving invitations which will help them increase in their Faith. First and foremost I can be a friend and example to these people. I had a little realization from this experience..

It is my duty to go down to the level of these people, walk in their shoes in a sense, rather than stand atop my hill of who i am and where i am from and calling these people with hand extended. Along side them we can walk together to the font, the temple, and Christ! 
Does that mean my investigators will get married, obey the word of wisdom, and keep the commandments without hestitation? I wish.. But it's not that easy. At times I wish I could take their agency and set them on the right path then say have at it! That's not the point though is it? I'm sure God has probably had the same feelings with me at times. 

The past week has taught me my purpose here is beyond baptism as we've spent the majority of it teaching less actives and searching for rescent converts who have been forgotten and gone inactive. Many of which have failed to obtain the priesthood, temple, or other blessings that come through progressing in the Gospel. Thus with every former purpose to find and baptize I am working in other ways as well to strengthen this area.
While it is difficult to talk with your investigator who was supposed to be baptized and chose not to due to other unrighteous desires, it is equally difficult to talk with rescent converts who no longerwant anything to do with the gospel they once believed. Surely, this work goes far beyond baptism.

My prayers were answered and i was able to watch General Conference in English this past weekend with a few other Gringos. Wow I have never been so excited to hear from our Prophet and Apostles! 9 pages of notes later I am redirected in my purpose, desire rekindled, and spiritually strengthened. I received answers for myself and many investigators I am working with. Let me just breifly share a little.

I hope we all have a renewed appreciation and outlook on the blessing of the Sacrament and would all make efforts to more fully attend! Attendance in the church is a huge struggle here among other things. What a blessing though that beyond Christ's Atonement He also gives us the ability to renew it every week and cleanse ourselves in efforts to come closer to Him. But how exactly do we do that?
Henry B Eyring taught that we are all entitled to personal revelation. It is our greatest tool as we seek for direction in this life as well as enlightened thoughs and comfort that comes through the Holy Spirit. Prayer is just one tool among those including the study of the words of prohets both present and past through the scriptures and current materials, Families, and others. Richard G Scott advised us to Make these tools God has given us Fundamental Habits in our lives! As I study the basic doctrine of the gospel daily as a missionary I have recognized its power more and more. I would invite all people to not overlook it but take advantage and live according to it!

Other appreciated messages were pertained more towards my work here.
As Latter day Saints we "talk of Christ, Preach of Christ, and write according to His teachings for our children.." [2nephi 25>26] ..yet another testament of the scriptures and also a piece of why we seek to share this gospel with others.
Christ is no stranger to His servants, His power is endless and we can feel his Love as often as we are worthy of and seek for it. One of my greatest blessings on this mission is learning how to listen to the Holy Ghost. Elder Bednar spoke eloquently to those who do not share our Faith inviting them all to come and see! This invitation requires sacrifice. To obtain a testimony one must follow the path of Christ by keeping his commandments, reading, praying, repenting and experience a change within themselves. As all of us know however, any sacrifice we make is nothing in perspective of the blessings we receive and are promised!

We can each begin our own personal ministry according to the example of Jesus Christ. I have begun mine, and faced a broad spectrum of emotions. Excitement of new investigators, dissapointment of rejection, and frustration of those who are many in Ecuador who do not share the same views of accountablility and other characteristics you do. Christ taught us to love all, including those who tell you to take a hike or even act as your enemy. How? I dont really know, but he showed a way. Did he not love the same people who rejected, mocked, and even crucified Him? Wow. 
We are taught to be patient and kind, respectful to all others. While many may not accept the words I offer I can show them a little of what I represent through my Actions! Be a light to the World.

I wrap up with some words of Elder Cook. "Descisions determine destiny, keep them in line with the Lords standards." In our daily conduct, let us strive to live according to the goals we seek to obtain and act with a that noble purpose that should continually underlie our conduct. Whatever goals you seek to obtain in the future, prepare for them now. As a missionary i learn every day about the leader, husband, father, friend, and other things i will be someday. Prepare now. 

To those who do not fully comprehend, have patience. Elder Uchtdorf taught us that even as we are given greater knowledge the more we seek it, those who have fallen away and are inactive in their Faith cannot see what you can! Do not "cast them out" but rather help them obtain it. Help all those who have taken a look in the mirror, as we all should, and sought to make changes. The harder we work to come closer to Christ, the harder Satan will work to stop us! But no force in the world can stop the word of God. 
If you seek you will find. Knock and it shall be opened. [3Nephi 27>29]..

Come to the arms of safety which are ready and open to receive you. [Alma34>16]
Finally, I echo the words of the Prophet as he Again closed with this statement wich I was also honored to use in my farewell talk, "Let us be a little better than we have in the Past." Ponder on that one.. I appreciate the counsel of all our inspired leaders so much and seek to sustain them through my actions.
#GeneralConference

Much love to all Family and Friends. Have another great week!

Elder Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment