Elder Wilson

Elder Wilson

Monday, September 29, 2014

Week 1 Ecuador

Wow, Like-- forever ago? 10 Elders and I came down to Ecuador. First flying to Columbia then to Guayaquil. I spent the night after meetings and interviews at a luxurious hotel not far from the Temple. The big hit: I got to do a session the next morning! Fantastic as always - I love the temple.Ya it was in spanish, as conference likely will be. But the Spirit speaks whatever language I want ;) Since then it has been an eye opening experience no doubt..

All has come to pass - I received my wish to get a native companion. Elder Juanes has a year and a half in the field and doesn´t speak a word of english besides ´what the hell, crazy nigga, and gosh dangit´´ ...none of which he learned from me but he loves saying them - probably because I laugh most of the time ha. We made a 4 hour bus ride at 8 at night to Quevedo, Venus del Rio - our area. During this ride I got to watch the new Transformers 4 in spanish - looks pretty sweet! But I couldn´t really tell you. Oh and my companion just murmured ýou can´t see me.´´ another of his favorites ha. Doesn´t make sense. 

I live in a simple apartment with two other Latino elders. We have running water you can´t drink - a shower thats freezing with no head on it - and a dirt mound of a back yard with chickens running all around. I´m getting the adventure I wanted right? Ha, yes and no.. There are no Jungles or cool animals for miles - As far as the eye can see there are poor metal huts, crazy taxi drivers, street venders, and me - the only Gringo in this city - right in the middle. It gets dark at 6:30 every night here, year round. But I like it better - not as hot! Ecuador lives up to every expectation of humidity or heat - I feel like i´m back at the naval academy in annapolis, Maryland - But a little worse. 

I may have put off a negative vibe of Ecuador - for which I want to correct. I will begin with the stats board: We have 2 reactivated members - 6 new investigators with baptismal dates in October - One of which is on the 3rd! Yea, first baptism! Her name is Gabriella, she is 27 years old and pregnant - and like everyone else here - no husband. No one here is married, and if you´re 16 or more you have 1 or 2 babies already. Freak, talk about chastity... 

So, the language.. It is a slurred super fast version of what I learned in the MTC with a lot of slang I am picking up. It is difficult to understand - that is my biggest struggle. as far as speaking - I am doing OK - needs improvement, but I can share doctine well and have ..crappy conversations. Ha. I pray every day I can just talk with people! Practice practice and it will come! My companion says, as well as several members, that they are impressed for my first week though. 

There is too much to write. Days are repetitive - same work - same investigators - same generally large area. I´m afraid this letter isn´t that great But my mind is going a million meters a minute. We work hard - we´re obedient to the T - we have success and we have fun - But sometimes (every night) I have to reassure myself I still want to get up in 7 hours and do it again. People are right - it is hard. But that´s not my problem. I can do hard. But for the first time in my life - I think i´m homesick. Work harder right? I know.. I´ve been blessed in my life to usually have all the answers right up here in my head.

I´ll close with something my President said in my interview concerning my account of how I gained my testimony - personally over a long period of time gradually as I was raised in the church. It was something like this: That´s how testimonies ARE! People look for Huge life-changing events to buld their knowledge. Which do happen for some - but as it is said in D&C 121:45 - ´the doctrine shall distill upon thy soul as the Dews of Heaven.´ By having charity, faith, courage, virtuous thoughts, etc.. Just as my experience - our testimonies and knowledge of truth will gradually build and develop. As we Act in Faith, CTR, live the gospel - Blessings of wisdom, confidence, faith and more will descend upon us from Heaven. 

Unfortunately, time is running short. There´s always somewhere to be, someone to teach in the mission field. I love it. So, here we go at another week - Hopefully i´ll be fluent in spanish next time we talk. Forgetting english and I´ll have to do this in Spanish ;) PS - I hope everyone plans to watch and enjoys conference! 
Until next time, Love you all,

Elder Wilson



No comments:

Post a Comment