Elder Wilson

Elder Wilson

Monday, December 1, 2014

Week 10 Ecuador

Hey-oh everyone!
How´s life in the states? It´s funny, everyone here wears shirts, shorts, headbands, whatever, of the American flag. #Represent 

About this week: I set another record today concerning my weekly church attendance, a new LOW of 88 people in sacrament meeting :( so that broke my almost two month streak, crap. Fear not though, we´re still on for 2 baptisms this week and 2 more on the 13th of December (Lucky Day). Also, we´re working with 3 men to receive the Melquizedek Priesthood later this month. Fantastic right! This month is going to be a great one.
That said, there has been a big upset with many members and investigators over an anti-mormon article written about Joseph Smith and the practice of Polygamy (more specifically his 40 plus wives). Good news is our number of daily lessons has made a nice increase! The bad, so many here are ignorant concerning the gospel and quick to doubt. Hoping this wasn´t the cause for our pathetic attendance this week!?
Though I failed to catch a picture of this (which I will try to do) there is snow in Ecuador!! A truck passed by in the morning as we were leaving our apartment for the day, filled with legit snow in the back! Ok.. maybe more like wolf mountain man-made snow but you get the idea. So the driver went in this store and I walked up and stuck my face in the white goodness to bring back some great memories! ..Only thing that came to mind was a small brain-freeze; my companion laughed though.

As far as the culture goes, I don´t have much for you.. I did get to spend a day in Guayaquil this week for a meeting with the President and a Temple Session! I love the Temple. The 4 hour bus-ride.. not as much appreciated. But what leads into families more perfectly than the Temple? Families are great! Both the ones I teach every-day here in Ecuador and the one´s who were laying on the couch nauseated from Thanksgiving dinner this past week. (I feel great by the way, thanks for the healthy Almonds and Protein mom) 
I can´t let a Thanksgiving pass by and not share a little bit of Gratitude. In truth, I am so very blessed. I've been given a good mind, healthy body, past opportunities and potential to achieve things that others may never know. I've often sat in humble homes and thought, Öh the things you´ll never know..¨ I´ve asked, ¨is it fair?¨ Well.. Let´s put our trust in God, his perfect justice, and unique plan for each one of us to learn according to our individual needs.
I got another answer to this question from my dad in an early letter of which I´ll share a little. Maybe it can help some recent missionary who just got dumped off in the middle of some third world country. He said, ¨So, you spoiled gringo, when in bed at night missing us, and missing the thinngs which you have here, be grateful. Obviously. And realize that many of the people that you meet while there will likely never have what you'll be returning to. May never have the family support you do, the material possessions, or the opportunities. Also, never feel guilty for those things. God chose you to be a member of our family and put you with us for a reason. But again, use that knowledge, the homesickness, and direct it on those people. Love them as we do you. Forget yourself in your service to them.¨ -Thanks Bishop Wilson ;)
I have nothing to give here as pertaining to things of this world, but I have something much greater, The Gospel of Jesus Christ. We all have something much greater to give this Christmas; before the perfume, clothes, new guns or anything that might fall on one of the 12 days of Christmas. Let us share that which is most valuable of all. As we do this I know that the promise in [D&C 50:22] will come true. ¨Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one anohter, and both are edified and rejoice together.¨
Have a delightful week friends and family. I hope your Black friday shopping was a success! (though none of you found a better deal than my new vans for 6$ - Way to go Ecuador!) Happy past Thanksgiving and Holiday Season, Keep those loved ones close!   
Love,
Elder Wilson
   
Guayaquil is ready for Christmas!

Temple nativity

Much enjoyed temple time

Temple, round #2
Guayaquil, Ecuador

No comments:

Post a Comment