Elder Wilson

Elder Wilson

Monday, August 17, 2015

Week 47 Ecuador

Food...

Food...

& more food.

:)

Bye Vargas

1 year

For those who aren't up to date on the whole "shirt" story. The lady that washes our laundry lives amongst pigs I guess, and informed me that one of my shirts had been destroyed by the pig. Hmm, interesting conversation. To my surprise the family had not disposed of my shirt and the other elders brought it home on my 1 year mark to dispose of properly.

Happy Mission adventures to all:)
August 17, 2015

Hey, what’s up family?  I hope Red Castle was sweet and that you guys caught a ton of fish, didn’t see a single drop of rain, and that it was super awesome.  I’m excited to see photos and hear stories from you guys.

I’ll start from last Monday when I wrote you guys.  We went out to a restaurant; its called Grand Chef.  It’s an all you can eat buffet, and it’s delicious.  They specialize in seafood.  There’s sushi, shrimp, fish, and they have a pasta bar, meat bar and they make postres…I mean, pastries.  I’m getting my words mixed up.  So that was fun.  It was really expensive, it’s like $18 a plate.  Thank you, grandma.  I finally put your Christmas money to good use.  We ate so much that I walked out of there nauseated and feeling like I really wanted to puke.  I didn’t eat for like a day and a half after that, honestly.  It was a good experience.  It was fun to eat some good food and hang out.

The next morning, half of the mission gathered together for a Family History Conference.  You all know that I am gung ho for that.  Honestly, it was pretty boring.  We learned some new stuff, but the typical broken family lines here in Latin America will create some projects that will confound us through the millennium I fell like.  People get separated and their lines are destroyed, but we’re figuring it out.  We’ve got some families that we want to take to the temple once we get their work going.  We’re helping them out.  At that conference I ran into my old companion, Elder Morga.  He’s still in our sector in Milagro but he’s about ready to leave I think.  The exciting news was to hear that Guillermo, Roberto Cheriguay, Marcos Herrera and his son, Rocio and Alex Campos were all baptized.  These guys all had baptismal dates when I was up there.  It was awesome to hear that they continued and got baptized with our plans and everything.  Rocio and Alex actually had to get married first.  They got married and got baptized this last weekend.  The other ones were baptized 2 weeks ago.  Ricardo was actually a contact that I made and so he is the first contact that has ever been baptized.  The rest were references from members or members of a family, cousins… something like that.  I was super excited to hear about all of them.

I guess summing up what I have talked to you about to this point, we all know without a doubt that the greatest miracle in the gospel is the atonement.  But baptism is the door that opens the blessings of the atonement for both the living and, thanks to the restoration of the gospel, the dead as well.  I really have a strong testimony of that.

Anyway, this week had a couple of other surprises.  We had an emergency transfer and ended up on an exchange with Elder Parkinson.  We had to drop Elder Vargas off in Quevedo which is almost 4 hours away from here.  Then we had to pick up Elder Pimentel in Babahoyo and then finally hooked up with Elder Cook, my new companion, in Milagro to come home to Duran. So that’s how I passed my 13th of August, my one year birthday in the mission, I guess.  It was chill, honestly.  The assistants called me up and said they needed some help getting guys around so off I went.

The Elders that night bought me a cupcake with a candle.  You guys remember by pig eaten shirt?  Well I thought the family had disposed of it but the Elders went and asked for it and brought it home, the filthy thing.  We disposed of it properly by burning it.  So I did burn my year mark shirt.  Afterwards, I gave a speech, not a testimony, and followed that by an Indian dance/chant around the fire with all the neighbors watching us, yelling and all this stuff at like 10 o’clock at night.  It was fun.  It was a good moment.

Elder Cook really is a good guy.  He’s from Woodscross.  He was a wrestler too.  I feel like we get along really good.  We understand each other.  He’s 21 so he’s Darby’s age pretty much.  I feel like he’s my same age.  He’s helping me find the balance in the work again.  I feel good.  We went out at 7 o clock in the morning before church and we didn’t get home until a little after 9, like a 14 hour day.  It was super long but we really are getting a ton of work done.  We’re getting some help from the members that we haven’t had before.  Getting to know some new areas and new families.  I’m excited for what we’re getting set up here.

Anyway, I’ll end with something kind of funny.  We haven’t had water in our house for 3 days because they dug a pit to put in a water tank.  They shut off our water and so we have to go and get it turned back on.  Anyway, I hadn’t showered in like 2 days and so went over to the missionaries that have the house out front.  They have a water tank and everything.  Their house is so set up .  They have air conditioning, whatever you want.  So we went over there, me and my companion.  We wanted to take showers.  They were kind of bugged about it, they’re kinda weird.  But they let us in.  So we go up there and they thought it would be fun to shut off the water pump while we were in there.  So there was no water right as soon as we were soaped up and wet.  My companion started yelling , “Turn the water on!  Turn the water on!  The soaps getting in my eyes!”  I feel like I’ve come along ways after a year in the mission with my patience.  I just waited quietly, lying on their beds with my soapy wet body until they finally turned the water on and I could get rinsed off.  I was about air dried anyway with soap plastered to my body but we all laughed about it in the end. It sucks to suck.  Anyways, I love you, you love me.  We’re all a happy family.  Hope you have a wonderful week.  Chau, chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment